Announcement: SP 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD
Tamron announces the redesign of their legendary 90mm Macro lens, equipped with VC ( Vibration Compensation) and USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive)
Tamron Co., Ltd. (President and CEO: Morio Ono / Headquarters: Saitama City), a leading manufacturer of optical equipment, announced the development of a next generation 90mm Macro lens for full-size SLR cameras. The lens features completely redesigned optics, a proprietary VC ( Vibration Compensation)*1, and USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*2.
1. Tamron has updated their legendary 90mm Macro lens with a new, state-of-the-art optical design. The lens, reborn for the age of digital photography, offers VC ( Vibration Compensation) and USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive).
2. Adopting a state-of-the-art optical design and a rounded diaphragm*4, this lens carries on the long tradition of Tamron’s 90mm Macro lens in delivering spectacular blur effects. Two XLD*5 (Extra Low Dispersion) glasses and one LD ( Low Dispersion) element reduce chromatic aberrations, yielding sharp images and outstanding resolution.
3. Tamron’s newly developed eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating*6 delivers a dramatic improvement in antireflection performance—significantly reducing flare and ghosting for clearer, crisper images.
4. The VC ( Vibration Compensation) image stabilization mechanism reduces camera shake to deliver sharp images.*7
5. Features USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive) to power a speedy AF drive together with a continuous manual focus mechanism.
6. Incorporates IF ( Internal Focus) system, which focuses by moving only the internal lens group, rather than the front lens elements. The overall length of the lens therefore does not change when focusing, thus ensuring a broad working distance.
7. Moisture-resistant construction helps prevent moisture from penetrating the lens.
Angle of view (diagonal):
27°02′ (with full-size SLR cameras)
17°37′ (with APS-C sized sensor digital SLR cameras)
14 elements in 11 groups
Minimum focus distance:
0.3m (11.8 in)
Maximum magnification ratio:
139mm (5.5 in)
114.5mm (4.5 in)*
122.9mm (4.8 in)*
550g (19.4 oz)*
No. of diaphragm blades:
9 (rounded diaphragm)
Canon, Nikon, Sony
Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. may be changed without prior notice.
*Length, entire length and weight values given are for the Nikon mount.
*1: Length is the distance between the mount face and the tip of the lens.
*2: Entire length is the distance between the tip of the lens and the tip of the protrusion.
*1 VC ( Vibration Compensation) is Tamron's proprietary image stabilization mechanism.
*2 USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive) is Tamron's proprietary ultrasonic motor drive.
*3 The Sony mount does not include VC, as Sony digital SLR bodies include image stabilization functionality. The Sony lens is designated as “SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 USD”.
*4 This rounded diaphragm retains a nearly circular shape even when taken two stops down from its fully open state.
*5 The XLD (Extra Low Dispersion) glass is made from specialized high-grade glass, which offers greater chromatic aberration correction properties than LD ( Low Dispersion) elements.
*6 The eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating is a new nanotechnology-based coating technique developed by Tamron to reduce unwanted reflection.
*7 From 3m, the benefits of VC ( Vibration Compensation) gradually decrease as the focus distance becomes closer.